By Terrance McGovern, Bolling Smith, Peter Bull
A brand new around of fortification development started within the usa and its in another country territories within the late-19th century, which benefited from the newest know-how and the rise in America's world wide financial stature. This publication offers a concise creation to the layout, improvement and goal of yankee coastal defenses within the "modern" interval (1885-1950), a interval outlined via concrete, metal, and robust breech-loading rifles. filled with interval and modern day photos of the fortifications, and written through a number one professional, it covers the emplacements, weaponry, gear, and folks that defended their state in occasions of significant swap and uncertainty.
Read Online or Download American coastal defenses 1885-1950 PDF
Best strategy books
The power of any association will depend on the standard of its managers. What they do and the way they do it's the key determinant of company good fortune. are looking to develop into precious in your corporation? increase your managerial abilities. the excellent news is that fab managers are made . .. no longer born. in case you become aware of what the main winning managers comprehend, you are going to free up the secrets and techniques to turning even usual staff into awesome performers.
In explaining the choice to invade Iraq and oust Saddam Hussein from strength, the management asserted, between different justifications, that the regime of Saddam Hussein had a operating dating with the Al Qaeda supplier. The management assessed that the connection dated to the early Nineties, and was once in keeping with a standard curiosity in confronting the U.S..
The very identify El Cid sums up a lot of the unique personality of medieval Spanish struggle. It comes from the Arabic al sayyid, grasp or chieftain, and turns out to were given to Rodrigo de Vivar through his Muslim foes. yet was once it given in popularity of El Cid's victories opposed to Islam within the 'Reconquista' – or simply because this Castilian nobleman was once as content material to serve beside the Muslims as to struggle them?
Vauban and the French army below Louis XIV
- Successful Strategies: Triumphing in War and Peace from Antiquity to the Present
- The Medieval City Under Siege
- US World War II and Korean War Field Fortifications 1941-53
- Ecological Issues in a Changing World: Status, Response and Strategy
Additional info for American coastal defenses 1885-1950
12. We cannot enter into alliances until we are acquainted with the designs of our neighbours. 13. We are not fit to lead an army on the march unless we are familiar with the face of the country — its mountains and forests, its pitfalls and precipices, its marshes and swamps. 14. We shall be unable to turn natural advantage to account unless we make use of local guides. 15. In war, practise dissimulation, and you will succeed. Move only if there is a real advantage to be gained. 16. Whether to concentrate or to divide your troops, must be decided by circumstances.
26. Peace proposals unaccompanied by a sworn covenant indicate a plot. 27. When there is much running about and the soldiers fall into rank, it means that the critical moment has come. 28. When some are seen advancing and some retreating, it is a lure. 29. When the soldiers stand leaning on their spears, they are faint from want of food. 30. If those who are sent to draw water begin by drinking themselves, the army is suffering from thirst. 33 The Art of War, Sun Tz˘ u 31. If the enemy sees an advantage to be gained and makes no effort to secure it, the soldiers are exhausted.
The natural formation of the country is the soldier’s best ally; but a power of estimating the adversary, of controlling the forces of victory, and of shrewdly calculating difficulties, dangers and distances, constitutes the test of a great general. 22. He who knows these things, and in fighting puts his knowledge into practice, will win his battles. He who knows them not, nor practises them, will surely be defeated. 23. If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight, even though the ruler forbid it; if fighting will not result in victory, then you must not fight even at the ruler’s bidding.